The Lawyer is the market-leading media brand for commercial lawyers and in-house counsel, both in the UK and globally, with unrivaled audience online, in print, and at events, The Lawyer provides independent and insightful commentary on the global legal market.
The job holder is responsible for writing exclusive and off-diary news stories for online and print. They must develop and maintain strong industry contacts, work to deadlines and represent The Lawyer at industry events.
- Sourcing and investigating exclusive news stories via contacts, tip-offs and social and other media.
- Writing clear copy that needs minimal subbing
- Turning stories round and meeting fast deadlines.
- Interviewing industry contacts.
- Generating ideas, both news and features.
- Writing long-form content
- Analysing data and working with the research team to create stories and insight.
- Attending and reporting on conferences and round-tables and other events.
- Writing off-diary news.
- Writing analysis pieces based on current news items.
- Creating and uploading news content for The Lawyer website.
- External: Building up contacts and maintaining existing relationships.
- External: Sourcing contacts that are unknown/unused by rivals in the market.
- Internal: Understanding the team’s beats by working collaboratively and sharing information
- Internal: Communicating ideas and progress with the editors
Key Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to produce accurate copy quickly and within deadline.
- Managing competing deadlines.
- Willingness to learn.
- Strong news sense.
- Ability to generate his or her own contacts both in and outside work hours
- Experience in a reporting role
- An understanding of ethics and confidentiality
- Qualification in journalism
- Industry knowledge
- Mathematical competence