About the company…
Centaur Media is an international provider of market intelligence and specialist consultancy that inspires and enables people to excel at what they do within the legal and marketing professions. Its award-winning brands include The Lawyer, Marketing Week, Econsultancy, Influencer Intelligence, Design Week and Creative Review.
Our range of products and services offer customers business intelligence and expertise, consultancy, training, lead generation and events. These are all based on Centaur Media’s heritage, reputation and track record of providing essential content.
Centaur is listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, with offices in London and New York. It has approximately 250 employees and its head office is situated in WeWork’s flagship European office on London’s South Bank.
About the role…
The ‘Legal Counsel’ role provides a great opportunity for a junior to mid-level lawyer to gain broad legal experience and make a significant impact within a fast-paced, collaborative media business.
The purpose of the role is to contribute to the overall success of Centaur Media by managing legal risk through the provision of legal advice to the business and reducing the need for the business to seek external legal advice.
The role is likely to involve a mixture of office and home-based working.
Who will guide me….?
The successful individual will form part of a small in-house legal team, reporting directly to the Head of Legal, and will therefore be ideally placed to help shape the legal agenda as it relates to Centaur Media’s business.
A day in the life of….
- You’ll provide focused, commercial, practical and compliant advice on a wide range of legal matters.
• You’ll be comfortable reviewing, drafting, negotiating and managing a high volume of commercial contracts with customers, suppliers, and other third parties.
• You’ll work with the Head of Legal to develop and roll out new template agreements, terms and conditions, policies and procedures and to encourage ongoing compliance with these.
• You’ll deliver training and develop know-how relating to Centaur’s internal contract review processes, contract negotiation, management of IP risk and data protection compliance, among other areas.
• You’ll support the business in understanding and complying with its legal and regulatory requirements, including but not limited to anti-bribery and corruption, data protection (including the GDPR and PECR), advertising and promotions and IR35.
• You’ll provide legal support on any corporate transactions (including asset and share purchases and / or disposals), joint ventures, collaboration agreements, royalty and licensing agreements and outsourcing transactions.
• You’ll be involved in advising on intellectual property matters and helping to maintain Centaur’s trademark portfolio.
• You’ll advise the business on claims, disputes and litigation.
• You’ll manage instructions to external counsel and other legal services providers.
• You’ll play a key role in supporting the legal aspects of Centaur Media’s ongoing data compliance programme, including advising on data protection risk in respect of new products and services, reviewing and negotiating standard processor clauses and maintaining ICO registrations.
What we need you to have….
Experience you’ll need
- You’ll be a Qualified Solicitor in England and Wales with c.2-5+ years PQE.
• You’ll have a strong academic education and qualifications.
• You’ll ideally have completed your training and post-qualification experience at a leading City firm.
• You’ll have commercial law expertise and, ideally, expertise in corporate, data protection, intellectual property, technology and/or employment law.
• You’ll have in-house experience, either from a secondment or previous in-house role.
• You’ll have a genuine interest in working in the media sector.
Behaviours and attributes you’ll have…
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Positive and enthusiastic attitude to work
• Versatility and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances
• High levels of accuracy and attention to detail
• Strong analytical skills
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills
• Ability to manage a high volume of varied matters and to prioritise appropriately
• Self-starter with high levels of initiative and experience of working with limited supervision
• Ability to work effectively under pressure
• Ability to develop strong relationships at all levels across business and to influence others to achieve positive outcomes
• Solutions-oriented, with the ability to be pragmatic where necessary