About Centaur Media
At Centaur Media we have a passion and love for our work – creating content that inspires and enables our marketing and legal professionals to excel at what they do.
Our award-winning brands include The Lawyer, Marketing Week, Econsultancy, Influencer Intelligence, Design Week and Creative Review.
Centaur is listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, with offices in London and New York. Our team of just under 600 people is primarily based in WeWork’s flagship European office on London’s South Bank.
With industry leading brands, an impressive 39-year history and a relentless focus on our customers, people and in-house creativity, it’s an exciting time to join Centaur.
Our values are based on ambition, collaboration, creativity and expertise within a “can do, will do, now” approach. If that sounds like you, then we think you will fit right in!
Purpose of Role
The ‘Legal Counsel’ role provides a great opportunity for a junior to mid-level lawyer to gain broad legal experience and make a significant impact within a fast-paced, collaborative media business.
The purpose of the role is to contribute to the overall success of Centaur Media by managing legal risk through the provision of legal advice to the business, and reducing the need for the business to incur external legal fees.
The successful individual will form part of a small in-house legal team, reporting directly to the Head of Legal, and will therefore be ideally placed to help lead and shape the legal agenda as it relates to Centaur Media’s business.
- Providing focused, commercial, practical and compliant advice on a wide range of legal matters.
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a high volume of commercial contracts with customers, suppliers, and other third parties.
- Working with the Head of Legal to develop and roll out new template agreements, terms and conditions, policies and procedures and to encourage ongoing compliance with these.
- Delivering training and developing know-how relating to Centaur’s internal contract review processes, contract negotiation, management of IP risk, data protection compliance, among other areas.
- Supporting the business in understanding and complying with its legal and regulatory requirements, including but not limited to anti-bribery and corruption, data protection (including the GDPR and PECR), advertising and promotions and IR35.
- Providing legal support on any future corporate transactions, such as asset and share purchases and / or disposals, joint ventures, collaboration agreements, royalty and licensing agreements and outsourcing transactions.
- Advising on intellectual property matters and helping to maintain Centaur’s trademark portfolio.
- Advising the business on claims, disputes and litigation.
- Managing instructions to external counsel and other legal services providers.
- Supporting the legal aspects of Centaur Media’s ongoing data compliance programme, including advising on data protection risk in respect of new products and services, reviewing and negotiating standard processor clauses, maintaining ICO registrations, etc.
- Qualified Solicitor in England and Wales with c.2-5+ years PQE
- Strong academic education and qualifications
- Training and post-qualification experience at a leading City firm
- In-house experience, either from a secondment or previous in-house role
- Experience of commercial law (required)
- Experience of corporate, data protection, intellectual property, technology and/or employment law (beneficial)
- Genuine interest in working in the media sector