Context of the Role
Centaur Media is a main market listed group, primarily based in the UK with approximately 300 employees in offices in Central London, and also in New York. We are a multi-platform content, events and services business that provides businesses and individuals with knowledge, tools and opportunities to improve their performance focussed on the marketing and legal professions.
We have recently moved to new offices in London, situated on Floor M of WeWork, near Waterloo station, the world’s largest co-working space. Aside of the creative, buzzing atmosphere, fantastic views of the River Thames and London cityscape, we have an office environment that encourages a flexible and agile approach to working. Currently, the group’s 20 finance employees are working efficiently from home, but could return to the office over the coming months as conditions allow.
Purpose of the Role
The individual will be the manager of the banking team reporting to the Group Financial Controller (GFC) and working in liaison with the Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable teams. The role is focused on managing and training the junior assistant in the team in order to ensure the daily transactional workload is processed in an accurate and timely manner, while personally carrying out the more complicated daily and weekly tasks.
The role is focused on the banking team as required by the daily and weekly flow of transactions, but will also at times be required to support the Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable team. The individual will be responsible for ensuring that the work required by the team is completed by performing the higher level, more complicated tasks and also directing the work of the junior assistant.
The role would include resolution of any issues or queries from the business and other finance colleagues, account reconciliations, accounting for credit card and ecommerce receipts, posting and authorising journals, administration of bank accounts, month end close processes and proactively improving the Group’s cash processes and controls. Where necessary and to ensure holiday cover, the individual will need to cover the work of the junior assistant.
The key tasks will include:
• Proactively challenging existing processes and then develop and improve them, both in the business and within finance
• Reviewing and discussing with the GFC the daily cash tracker
• Ensuring that queries in the banking/treasury inbox and via the helpdesk are resolved and requests from the business are dealt with in a timely manner
• Checking that the payment runs are carried out efficiently and customer receipts have been allocated correctly on a daily basis
• Responsible for ensuring minimal levels of unallocated cash and for all bank control accounts to be fully reconciled and no older than 15 days
• Identify key risks and issues coming out of bank reconciliations and implement appropriate prevention and detection controls
• Carrying out analysis on cash balances and forecasting future cash needs
• Ensure bank mandates are maintained and fully up to date
The individual will have had previous experience of working in a banking or treasury team, and will therefore have a full understanding all of the basic processes in those areas such as ensuring correct authorisation for payments, and accounting for bank transactions and ensuring minimal levels of unallocated cash. The individual must have an appetite for resolving issues, developing better processes, getting things right and be enthusiastic to help manage the junior assistant.
Behaviours & Knowledge
- Proactive mindset with a “can do, will do” attitude
- Keen to develop accounting knowledge
- A team-oriented person who can communicate with and support others in finance
- Previous treasury/cash management experience
- Ability to clearly think about banking processes and how transactions flow into the finance system
- Experience of bank account reconciliations
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Intermediate level Excel
- Part qualified accountant keen to develop themselves – Centaur can provide support for further study
- Agresso or similar accounting package experience
- Knowledge of banking systems such as RBS
• Fully reconciled bank balances at month end
• Full allocation of daily cash received into the business to a customer account and against correct invoice
• Investigation of items that cannot be allocated with resolution in a timely manner
• Promptly responding to business queries and adherence to month end deadlines
• Gaining familiarity of Agresso and other systems/ processes in first month
• Ability to highlight and escalate issues identified to the Group Financial Controller to prevent unresolved items becoming old