Job title: Deputy News Editor
Brand: The Lawyer
Division: Legal & Financial
Reports to: News editor
Direct reports: 4* Reporters when deputising
Are you a proven news reporter and keen to develop your career? Do you want to work on an award-winning title?
Purpose of Role
The Lawyer is looking for a deputy news editor, responsible for the news desk in the absence of the news editor. This includes managing content, deadline, and team of reporters. When not news editing, the job holder is expected to be the senior journalist on the news desk, creating exclusive and high-quality breaking news content and column pieces.
Context of the Role
Centaur is a leading business information, publishing and events group providing marketing and information solutions within high value professional and commercial market communities.
The Lawyer is the market leading media brand for commercial lawyers and in-house counsel, both in the UK and globally. With un-rivalled audience in print, online and events, The Lawyer specialises in breaking news and authoritative content aimed at the leaders in the legal market.
- Contribute to the editorial direction of TheLawyer.com
- Help to run a team of news reporters to produce a wide range of breaking news and exclusive content
- Take the lead on fast-moving stories to ensure content is published quickly, accurately and works online
- Attend industry events and acting as a representative of The Lawyer.
- Assist the news editor in weekly news meetings
- Act as a mentor to junior/new members of the editorial team where necessary
- Generate story ideas, particularly in accordance with editorial priorities
- Write news stories and long-form content for the online platform and the magazine
- Deputise for the news editor on a regular basis
- Decide on the placement of stories on the website and which stories should be sent out as breaking news
- Allocate deadlines to the reporters.
- Checking stories for accuracy of content (e.g. facts, figures, people) and any potential legal issues.
- Ensuring articles are written in the house style.
- Sourcing contributors and chasing for content.
- Editing contributor articles.
- Establishing and maintaining good communication with the team and wider departments ensuring smooth workflow is achieved to deadline.
- Understanding the technical demands of the website and email generator
- Ensuring journalists manage their time in the office and with contacts.
- Encouraging journalists to get exclusives and build strong relationships with contacts.
- Motivating team to submit to deadline to ensure deadlines are met.
- Recruiting and training and developing new journalists as necessary.
- Handle complaints from contacts/PRs in order to retain independence and also good relationships with those organisations
Key Skills & Knowledge
- Editing and journalism experience.
- Strong news sense.
- Proven track record of working in a high volume environment with tight deadlines.
- Experience of working with online web systems.
- Experience covering
- Understanding of the industry.
- Strong contacts book.
- People Management
- Relationship Management
- Balanced Judgement